

August 30 ,2017

Onondaga Pathways to Careers Demonstration Project at Onondaga Community College

Attendees:

Groups: Pellissippi State CC, Georgia VR, Kentucky VR, Nebraska VR, Virginia VR, DEI TA Representatives, DEI Projects, WINTAC, ODEP

Individuals: Meera, Miranda, Michael, Helga, Pam, Janet, Bradley, Doug, Dave, Ellen, Dave, Sheldon

Meera: Welcome everybody, so glad you could join us. This is our OPC community of practice regarding career pathways. This week, as I mentioned in our agenda, we will not have formal presentations on a topical substantive matter. Instead, we wanted to focus the conversation around a topic that we have been mentioning for a while, will be upcoming, we are very excited about, and that is the opportunity for us to all meet in person.

So, we have Miranda Kennedy on the phone who represents NDI's DEI, Disability Employment Initiative team, and she and I wanted to talk to you about this in-person meeting that we would like to have; the structure, the timing, the approach, the outcome, and some opportunities for funding related to it. And as always, Michael will be facilitating our discussion.

[Pam-Southeast ADA Center, Doug Keith- WINTAC, Janet & Sheldon- ODEP, William – Onondaga Pathways Career Project, Janet Nebraska VR, Helga Kentucky VR, Pam Williams – ODEP, Bradley, Allan DEI NY project, Dave Mayor DEI TA team]

So as we've been mentioning, we would like to have an in-person meeting, bring us all together.

We'd like to go through talking about this meeting and our ideas for it. What will be this meeting, exactly? Is it a conference, is it some other type of event? What its purpose and goals will be, in accordance, ideas we had about structuring it, and our approach to engaging and talking about career pathways and the successful employment of youths with disabilities. And what our outcomes for this meeting will be, so that we all have a focus and we walk away with something meaningful for us. And an opportunity, as I mentioned, regarding funding. We want to make sure that this a successful meeting, and we hope to have you join us, and we'd like to support that.

Jumping in to the first part of our conversation, the in-person meeting- what is it? Which seems like bit of a silly question, but we thought it was a meaningful one to discuss, because as you can see, what we want to make sure that it is, is not a traditional conference, even though we've been using the word conference periodically. We didn't want to suggest that it's going to be one of those events where you come, there's a lot of people with scripted presentations, and you sit in the audience and you listen. Not to say that there's anything wrong with those kinds of events, we've all gone and learned a lot, but we really want to do here is have something interactive and engaging for all of us. We want to make sure that we take a pivot here, I think, and follow up on our past virtual meetings where we've had great conversation from all of our programs, and we've been able to learn and think about some new ideas. And we want to keep that momentum going by having what we think we can refer to as an exchange meeting; hearing about the key elements of everyone's programs, strategies and promising practices that are being implemented, lessons that are being learned. We've all had some stop and go and rework it moments, and learning about others will be useful because maybe we can help each other avoid some of the same ones, and instead move straight to a successful practice. It will, therefore, be an opportunity to learn, certainly to help with existing challenges, so the idea isn't only to bring pure success stories to the table. We are all in the implementation phase, and if there are implementation issues that can be discussed, that will be useful for all of us, and to share new ideas. So I'll take a pause there to see if Miranda and Michael, you wanted to add anything to that description, and if anybody has any thoughts or questions.

Michael: I think what's important is you have projects funded by multiple federal agencies and with it comes some slightly different lenses, and I think that will be invaluable in this type of face to face meeting because we're still in the early stages of WIOA implementation; but what you really have here is a set of interrelationships within the workforce development system, and then with outside mandated and other partners. What I hope we'll be able to explore, is this connection between the education system, which is both at the high school level feeder system for students with disabilities coming into the community college, but you also have this direct relationship with the workforce development system in terms of American job centers and employers, and all of those is about, really, I think by meeting face to face we should be able, and some of the slides coming up, really pinpoint to look at the critical elements of what's facilitating progress to the ultimate outcome, which has to be better employment and career pathways for people with disabilities. And what's holding us back, and certainly it's

about whatever we're able to accomplish, whether it's RSA funds, ODEP funds, ETA and DEI funds, is how do we sustain and bring to scale practices where we're being able to identify a crossproject?

Miranda: I concur with Meera and Michael that its certainly, you know we have a number of other slides we're going to go through to share with everyone a little bit more about the structure, and especially what was just talked about that this is open beyond, and it's a wonderful opportunity that this community of practice and this project has been opened up to others in DEI and WINTAC and the LEAD Center and other partners who are working on this work to come together and contribute to the discussion, and that's what it really is, that discussion. And I think Meera is, we're going through some of the other slides, to share a little bit more with the group on the phone what our thought was for the structure, I think that will paint a little bit more of a picture, and we can get a little bit more into the details of this. We're quite excited about this opportunity, and to be joining all of you.

Meera: Thanks, Michael, thanks Miranda. Any other questions or thoughts, or are we moving forward? Great.

So as we mentioned we are looking at this sort of as an exchange meeting, we want to deepen these connections that we have developed, we want to meet new colleagues, and we want to move our projects forward. These are often generic statements, but we really do meant that. This is meant to be designed in a way, and we are all going to collaboratively work up until the point of the meeting, developing the ideas, and developing the presentation content. The idea isn't that the programs coming will be on their own and now have to take on another big project to try to come up with something. Miranda and I will get into those details, but we are here to support this and make this work effectively- advance our projects and really work together in a collaborative way. As I mentioned, we do want to highlight good work, but want to also help with challenges, we want this to be a working meeting where something productive is being done, and you're walking away with something that you can go back and implement. We want to develop further of these relationships so that we can make sure, as Michael mentioned, we have several programs from different areas of the federal agencies which means they all look a little bit different and they all were designed to be a little bit different. The intention with "WEOAH" is that there is collaboration across the board, so using that principle there are going to be lessons that we can learn that we can also implement effectively having seen how another program may have done it. And to that end we hope that everyone can take back at least one or

two new strategies, if not more, that they can begin to immediately implement. And as we continue to meet virtually, we can follow along that process and continue to support it. Again, I'll pause and see if anyone has any questions or thoughts or anything to add to that.

Miranda: I do wonder, Meera, just we only have a couple more slides that give a little more information on the structure, and for those who haven't been part of those discussions, and I do think that little bit more of an understanding of what the approach would be for day one and day two, might be really helpful, and might generate the questions and comments that you're looking for. And we do want feedback.

Meera: So we we're thinking on our first day we would get together and we could identify 6 themes into which we could put our conversations and our discussions and exchanges. These themes would be key to the areas that are reflected in the existing Department of Labor's Career Pathways Toolkit, building cross-agency partnerships, identifying the industry sector and engaging employers, designing the education and training programs, or in the case of some of the programs we have, it may be just connecting two existing ones, identifying funding needs and sources, that will be something that, as we move towards sustainability beyond these initial funded periods for all of us will be important, aligning our policies and programs, and of course always measuring system change and performance.

So the idea is really we would work with you to help you develop one short 7-10 minute presentation to the group. We thought we could have an hour focused on each theme area. We could present an area in which your program is having a challenge or a little bit of a hiccup and one in where you feel you've been excelling and others may be able to learn from that, and then we will engage in a follow up discussion with the group around solutions to the challenges, how those practices may be adapted by others, and of course sustainability for the outcomes that we want to achieve at both individual and systems levels.

A packed in hour there, you know, a little bit of a wrap up time, but really moving from hour-to-hour fairly quickly, and because the first day will be such a conversation filled, new ideas filled day, we thought it would be useful to have at least a half-day to share the a-ha moments, to report out after we've had a chance to mull over things overnight, and sort of think about the connections to our program, and then wrap up.

Miranda: And if I can weigh in here too, we have some flexibility here with that idea of the short 7-10 minute presentations from each of the projects, so with representation

from different projects coming in and providing that type of presentation, we hope to have a number of folks who would be presenting on each of the key elements. And we have some lead time leading up to this, and there will be a lot of preparation for this. It could potentially be that we connect one project with another project, that are discussing the same key element, and they might decide to coordinate a presentation if they are doing something that's very aligned, which is another wonderful opportunity for some relationship building and learning. So this isn't meant to be in and of itself, it's kind of the process leading up to it, and the connections we're making, and the materials we're developing, and what we're planning on sharing, and then all of the follow up from this day and a half as well. So the day and a half is the event itself, but there's so much that can go into it and come out of it as well. I just want to make sure that you all know that this is kind of our initial pitch, but there's some flexibility within that, right Meera? We want to be innovative and help folks make those connections. This is just to give us some initial structure to think about. I think on the next couple of slides we are going to get into that too, what we are expecting to come out of it and so forth.

Sheldon: So the presenters will all be community colleges, is that correct?

Meera: No, so we will have some of the DEI programs joining us. Helga and Janet, for example, they represent Career Pathway programs funded directly through VR, so if they join us, which I hope they do, they would be VR presenters. So we will have folks from different parts of the- I keep using this analogy, but touching different parts of the elephant (is that the right way to use this analogy?), we would hopefully have some work force presenters, some education, some VR...

Sheldon: Okay so different systems, different entities. How many community colleges would be presenting?

Meera: Well at this point the presentations aren't set, so as we get into some of the forward moving slides, I would hope we'd have a couple, but we're looking for a mix, so we hope to have a few community colleges and education partners, a few VR partners, a few workforce. We hope to actually get more than one from each program, if possible, if we could have two from each program come, maybe one representing, the education community college partner, one representing workforce, or in some cases workforce and VR, I think pairing and showing cross-system collaboration at the program level, as well as thinking about the big picture ourselves, would be a wonderful way to go.

Sheldon: One of the benefits for us, given our grant and the funding of the community practices, to hear as many community colleges weigh in, in a face to face meeting as possible, not to exclude the other partners, as you mentioned, but to hear those community colleges and what they bring to the table, so that's really important from our perspective.

Meera: Great.

Sheldon: I'm sorry Karen, am I speaking out of turn?

Karen: Not at all Sheldon, you're right on target. When I think the fact we're talking about this at the end of August and this conference isn't going to take place until the last week of November this is part of why we're having this discussion now and so early; so we can make sure we have different voices represented and different strategies that people are using represented, different challenges, but also where we're able to see the different themes and come together. So this is part of why we're getting so far out ahead of this. So yes, you're not speaking out of turn in my opinion.

Meera: So I'd love to hear from some of the programs that we have on the phone, how this is striking you, if you're starting to think already about some ideas as you think through your program.

Janet (Nebraska VR): I think this is all manageable, I don't have any real issues, I know Helga and I are presenting at the Nebraska Career Pathways Conference, and also at our CSABR, the BR Director Conference in November, so I think there's things that we can pull from those presentations that we can be able to use for these. Well, I shouldn't talk for Helga, but anyway, yes, I think this is all manageable.

Helga: Janet and I are definitely on the same page, very manageable.

Janet: I should add, I think this will be terrific, this will be a great opportunity. Every time Helga and I have an opportunity to get together, and the other states that receive the RSA grant, it's so helpful to exchange that information. We have collaborative calls, but you just don't get that flow in a conference call, like you do when you have a meeting like you're proposing, so I'm excited about it.

Meera: Excellent, thank you, that's great feedback. I'm glad, then, that we were able to put this together. It wasn't an original plan for us, it wasn't an original idea, we were planning to just continue with virtual meetings, but we thought it would make a difference if we got together in person. It's a big list, but I think you're right, it just does make such a difference when we can get together.

Michael: To follow up on what Karen and Sheldon just said, do you think it's possible to draw a community college partner to be part of the representation from your project?

Helga: I don't know, I was just thinking about that. Yes, probably. Yes.

Janet: I'm sorry would you repeat the question, again.

Michael: Because the funding comes from ODAK, with a particular focus on community colleges, I was wondering, with the representation from your RSA funded project, is it possible to invite a representative from a local community college that you're working with in your career pathways project.

Janet: I can only speak for Nebraska, and Nebraska's career pathways grant or program is a little different than the three other states, because we're working with adult students, instead of, I think they're working a little bit more with transition students, so our program, we don't have the relationship with the community college as I think the other three states do. We are, of course, paying for training for having adult clients advance. But it's a little different, we are not working as closely with the community college as an overall program, so to speak, if that makes sense. So, I think Helga can address that much better than I can. I don't think that we would bring a community college partner, is what I'm saying, it's just the way our program is set up.

Helga: Yeah in eastern Kentucky we have been working with Hazard Community Technical College and Big Sandy Community Technical College, obviously some of our VR consumers do attend, but we've been working with them specifically on the grant to do STEM type camps for students in high school, with disabilities. I think one or both of them might be very interested once I present the idea.

Michael: That would be great. Also, obviously much closer to home in terms of Syracuse, is the possibility of engaging other community colleges that are, although not funded by ODEP, are part of a consortium working on career pathways projects, with a different mix of state and federal funding. So that is definitely something we will focus on.

Meera: Okay, great. I'll move forward so that we can talk about the next piece, which also elaborates a little bit more on what we were thinking about outcomes. So, again, we want to develop the relationships. I think, Janet, as you mentioned, there's just a level of collaboration that can take place once you've met each other and started to engage and hear about what other folks are doing. We want to make sure we really do focus around this idea of implementation. How can we look at some of our challenges

and improve them? How can we take another idea that's different and take it back and implement it? And how can we begin to consider our program sustainability? So, beyond just, I think all of us are sort of in that middle place, but quickly moving toward that ending place, where we have to not only look at our own outcomes for accountability to our programs as they've been developed, but then think about how that is sustainable in the long term. How what we've received as seed funding to put together can continue to build and grow on itself. Are there other needs or outcomes that you are looking for from meetings like this? Is there something else that would be useful to build into our plan? As Miranda said, this is very initial, it's very flexible. We wanted to start the conversation early so that we had time to really build something.

Sheldon: Meera, I'd like to add that when you say "our outcomes", you're really talking about possibly different sets of outcomes depending on the systems to which you're referring. For example, we have in the past, found that VR outcomes and measures do not always match those of some other system. So a successful outcome for VR may not necessarily be the same type of outcome a community college is looking for under the program that we're talking about today. So it might be helpful to identify the performance measures and outcomes across systems and see where they may match and where they may differ.

[Male voice]: That's brilliant, absolutely. Yeah we need to know each other's systems more than anything, so that needs to be a big part of starting this off, is spending some time letting each other know what our needs are, and how we look at things, get that common language together. Maybe we could do that beforehand, too, so that people are kind of set up, and then we can talk about it for a short period of time at the actual event.

Michael: Sheldon, I think you make a great point. Each system, obviously, has mandated by law and rule, different performance measures and metrics, but at the heart of this is cross-system collaboration. I could see some materials exchanged, certainly well before the in-person meeting. Looking at the employer lens is different than the AJC lens, which is different than the high school lens, which is different than the VR lens, which is different than the... each different system is a little bit different. But where there is overlap and where they support each other is what could be critical to any sustainability.

[Male voice]: And where they differ might point to the different funding sources and how one might present the outcomes and come up with something that truly is our outcomes that meets the needs of the various stake holders.

Doug: Is there a concern coming in here or is this kind of a moot question at this point? That the different partners coming in, is it part of the purpose that everybody sees themselves as being part of the Career Pathway network as opposed to making referrals to the Career Pathway network?

[Male voice]: Oh Doug, that's the goal of I think everything that we do is creating that synergy between all of the systems seeing as them being a part of the solution. Would you guys agree with that?

Meera and Michael: Yeah

[Male voice]: I didn't want to be on an island unto myself!

Michael: I think the point that's being made here is the upfront work and providing the documentation of where each system sits in. It really is kind of a puzzle but having different metrics or different performance, some of it is language, but it's also where, as we've learned over the years, is where one system can complement the other because the Arc can only go so far and this is where work forces fit in, this is where educational or training partners fit in, this is where employers fit in. So I think it is some important upfront work to do that I think can really make the in-person meeting that much more meaningful to participants.

Doug: Yes and I think that's where the outcome discussion is so important too. One of the things that we're starting recognize is, I think now with WIOA implementation more so than what we're seeing with WIA implementation, more people are drinking the Kool-Aid and believing in the vision of sharing resources and sharing information and creating that common pipeline; but this far into WIOA and talking with agencies around the country folks are recognizing now that we're investing a lot of our time, our staff time, and management time into the implementation, and attending a lot of meetings and believing in the value added- what is going to happen on the backend because we're working together and we're not seeing those outcomes yet- and so I think developing an idea of what is the reasonable amount of time to support us in continuing to make that investment towards sustainability might be an initiative that needs addressing too. So I appreciate the comments on the outcomes.

Miranda: Part of this too, is when we built it initially it had been looked at as one day meeting, right Meera, and part of the thought process was looking in the second half day to be able to, certainly we continue these conversations on our phone calls and our email communications with one another in our meetings like this one, but at the same time being able to process what we can do. And when we're talking about those next

steps on the next days, what do we take out of this? What do we turn into hearing things that can go into a toolkit that can cross multiple systems and be used by different targeted audiences in different ways? How can these strategies reach more people, and what are people's roles from different vantage points in engaging in these types of strategies and getting the kinds of outcomes that we want to be getting for folks? I mean we have a lot of mutual outcomes here too.

Janet: This is Janet, and I agree a second half day is really beneficial. I mean just from my standpoint I'll be flying in anyway so I won't fly out that first night and I'll fly out the second day so it just makes sense too to have that extra time that we can all have that discussion. I liked the idea when someone said ponder it over the night and come back with different ideas and fresh ideas and have that next step. So I'm in agreement.

Miranda: Thank you Janet. See Meera, I told you!

Meera: You are brilliant. I am really appreciative of all of Miranda's great ideas! I think that is the beginning of demonstrating what can really happen when we all come together from different places and have our different ideas. We're going to build something here that's really going to be meaningful.

Doug: Was the next point going to be the funding aspect of it?

Meera: Yep, I can get to there. So I mentioned there's an opportunity for funding. I don't have a bajillion dollars, but we have some money and we'd like to support travel we want to make sure we get these programs that we've been talking to and some additional programs that can bring some new insights to the table. So we'd like to offer everyone the opportunity to apply for some of these funds. You can send me a proposal outlining some of these details and I can flesh this out and send some more information out through the list serve but we would like to know who the attendees will be. As we mentioned, we're hoping for pairs from each of the programs that demonstrate some cross-agency collaboration, a workforce partner and an education or VR partner depending on the nature and structure of your programs. As Sheldon and Michael have pointed out, having more community college come to the table would be meaningful for us where we're coming from as a community college developing this program. The funding is available for one person from each program. We would like to support as much diversity as possible so what we're hoping is that through your existing funding you may be able to solicit travel and then perhaps someone else can join you as well and we can provide supportive funding. As I mentioned in regards to your ideas for presentation topics, it's possible up to three ideas that are keyed to those DOL toolkit

themes as I mentioned in the earlier slide and the reason for that is because I think, as Miranda pointed out, there are going to be common issues that are facing us and we may be able to see your ideas and suggest to you a partner to pair up with. Someone you may know or someone you may not know yet, but who's facing the same challenge and who is implementing the same successful strategy and it would be great to get some of these matches and collaborations going.

Sheldon: To the degree that your goals could be met through this type of meeting it might be important that you bring your own sources of funding. We have a very tight monitoring of funding for these type of events coming out of labor right now so those of you who might have sufficient funds to participate in a non-conference conference or a meeting we would welcome that as there might be issues in funding that could cause some problems as we move forward. Any questions on that comment?

Janet: Yeah, I'm sorry could you repeat that. Is it for future meeting or this meeting?

Sheldon: For this meeting. If you have a source of funding that would cover your travel that would be greatly appreciated on our end! Meera your statement about being able to fund maybe one individual may or may not carry forward if it's coming from ODEP funding unless BBI has other funding to support this. So we just want to make sure if this supports your goal and you are VR perhaps that funding could come from your source.

Michael: Sheldon, is that a clarification that would be known in a short time frame? Because that of course could impact people's decision making about being able to participate.

Sheldon: So I would say the idea is if this is going benefit you and the goals of your program, we are hoping you can sell that to your funders as something of value. I don't hear as much about community colleges coming up and that is the source of this funding and the goals of this grant. So to the degree that does not happen, ODEP paying for a VR system to gain additional knowledge and possibly or maybe not take that to the community college level that would be a little bit of an issue. So I would say, if you perceived this as something important and a benefit we look at all sources of funding sort of the blending and braiding idea towards a common goal and we don't have a lot of information on that there are some things that are going around now about conferences etcetera. I think, Michael, you've experienced that on other projects as well. Let me ask those of you that are attending, if this money does not come out of

something that Meera can provide would you be interested in still attending or be able to still attend if money does not come from this grant to you.

Janet: I would have to ask approval from Felipe, our RSA project director, and make sure that's something he won't have any trouble with it if it's a meeting and not a presentation so to speak. I mean not that it's not both, but that there's some collaboration, but we would have to ask. My also question is, we partner with employers and there might be even with our relationships we'd be developing some current pathways and developing employers is there money from the DOL perspective in that?

Sheldon: One that we are working, this grant is for community colleges. DOL also funds the DEI grants so you could, from that perspective, look at the DEI funding and say, "Is that available?" There are not new pots of money available for this type of meeting so they would come out of your existing funding streams.

Janet: I may be able to cover it anyway through ours but I was just thinking if we're looking at partnerships and bringing partners, I guess that's my first question, do we even, when you talk about workforce partners and you talk about education or VR partners or things like that, are we considering an employer a partner when we're trying to develop those relationships with those employers?

Sheldon: The ultimate goal for labor is happy employers and gain so we can get employment results. It is apparently a goal of the administrations to focus on some of the very top high levels within government that employers are a very significant focus moving forward.

Doug: Meera, maybe that would be something we can send out in a quick poll to find out if people might be able to have some sources of funding to attend if we do not supplement and we could quickly determine that within the week or two.

Meera: Sure.

Doug: Michael, does that sound like a fair way of moving forward?

Michael: Sure.

Helga: I have a question, do you feel pretty secure in the funding for my partner if I did invite a community college partner.

Doug: I think that it is a probably. That might work in the sense that, again, if only one person is being funded through Meera and the grant and that is a community college then that certainly would be probably more likely to fall under the goals of the grant

and the restrictions on the costs. And of course we would want you to participate as well so if you needed to add you're funding.

Helga: I'll let Janet always speak for me because she's always right. We're in the same boat and we would have to speak to our RSA person so we would find out about that.

Sheldon: So maybe in a unified way if you can determine the goals and the statement for this type of meeting that reflects your goals and outcomes which is what we were going to address anyway. That might be a good way to present it to you funder.

Helga: Right, that's true. Janet and I can talk about that later.

Meera: Okay, so I think we did mention this a little bit earlier but what we are looking at right now, I believe, is the last week in November was on the table- the early part of that week. Is there anyone that would have difficulty with that right off the bat? No, okay good. Well, coordinating schedules is always a difficult endeavor, but I will start with that and start to make the rounds by making sure that it fits the calendars of everybody who definitely has to be there to make it happen and then we will get back to you with further details as soon as we nail those dates down.

Janet: If could say just making Monday a travel day instead of Sunday a travel day would be a good idea.

Pam: I'm assuming we all know but we're talking about the week of the twenty seventh?

Meera: Yes.

Sheldon: Especially since its Thanksgiving weekend travel going to be kind of congested so moving it out a day does make a difference.

Pam: We might even them, I don't know how it works it's up to you, but we might even better off traveling on the 28th I mean there might be a lot of people coming back on Sunday or Monday from travel just for travel expenses. I mean we can do whatever, I can do whatever but I'm just saying that might be coming up with Thanksgiving.

Helga: Yeah I agree.

Janet: Especially if you guys are paying for someone with funding it would keep costs down I think a little bit if you travel on Tuesday instead of Monday.

Dave: What about the possibility of shifting it to the first week in December? And then do Monday Tuesday and fly out Sunday because that's usually when I take a vacation

and it's usually the best time to fly too, it's kind of a dead space right between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Janet: Either week works for me, I mean it does, I just agree with Helga especially with the Thanksgiving.

Helga: Yeah, either week works for me too.

Meera: Okay options are excellent thank you.

Pam: And I know you will, but my only recommendation is that as soon as you have dates if you can get them to us that would be awesome.

Miranda: Absolutely, we'll do that as quickly as possible and my computer just crashed me out of the conference, the web conference, so I don't have the slides in front of me but I know I had the slide up that said your ideas so before we finish wrapping up here anybody have any other thoughts or ideas to put on the table I'd love to hear them.

Pam: I'm sorry I don't have a thought but I have a question, is the conference going to be in Syracuse?

Meera: Yes. It's going to be at Onondaga Community College, our host program.

Dave: Just a real quick question, so the idea is to have the six elements and utilize those as the basis for making all of the groups and the connections with the idea being for there to be an hour and a half for element one and an hour and a half for element two and an hour and half for element three etcetera, so we cover all the elements.

Miranda: Yep anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half. Don't want to squish anything in there, want to make sure we can get it in a day.

Dave: I know that some of the elements, a couple of the elements that we've been finding like five and six are pretty high level in a lot of cases and it's important to recognize that particularly talking about funding sources and definitely coming up with some plans of capturing information so that could be an interesting couple of elements to look at.

Miranda: It really could be Dave, I'd love to help attach you to supporting some of the things that are happening in the later elements hint, hint. The one other thing too is that were leaving the second half day fairly open we want to hear peoples a-ha moments, we want to hear what they processed overnight and what their actions are moving forward if we have a half day the next day if there are pieces that are really rising to the top that

we want to spend a little bit more time talking about I think we'd have the flexibility to do so in that space the following day and not that we can't capture, there's going to be a lot of rabbit holes we could potentially go down but we can capture some of those things we might want to have deeper longer conversations about and those can continue on the various different community of practices, this one, the one that the WINTAC and DEI folks are doing. This is part of that larger conversation and it's certainly beneficial in the opportunity of bringing folks together and developing some relationships offline as well as online and how do we partner and move together in the future.

Sheldon: I would definitely support the idea that future discussions within the community of practice will evolve out of this meeting and you will not have all the answers, we are seeking but you certainly will have follow-ons that the community of practice can build upon in the next month, three, four, five months.

Miranda: I mean the idea is this will generate a whole lot of fuel and energy for us to build off of. Absolutely!

Sheldon: The presentations will be the key to bringing in information that otherwise might not have been available on individual calls because we do have the synergy of individuals participating in a group setting.

Dave: Sounds like a plan! Good work!

Doug: And the idea is to just meet one more time as a whole group? Is that what I saw in one of those slide were gonna meet in October next time?

Meera: Well, we have these virtual meetings every two months, so that's what the reference is. Our next virtual meeting will be October 26th and I tentatively have book marked that again for discussion around this in person meeting because at that time we would have been about a month now or maybe will be a month and a half out from meeting in person and so there may be some additional logistics we need to share. There may be some questions and conversation around structuring the presentation that folks would like us to help with. So I wanted to tentatively bookmark it for a follow-up conversation.

Sheldon: Do we have some flexibility if after the meeting we find that it is so meaty that a monthly call to really keep the momentum going might be more advantageous than the every two months, would there be some flexibility?

Meera: I suppose so.

Dave: And you wouldn't necessarily have to do that with the video part too, you could do the video every other month also and have an open conversation with one another. That's what I was kind of thinking that I think that waiting two months to have our next conversation might be a little too long my take would be to definitely have a call sometime in September and figure out where we are at that point. It might take a while to put together and would I hate to push towards the end and feel rushed particularly with everyone having such busy schedules that if we could find some time in September to meet that would be wonderful!

Michael: Yeah, Dave I think that's a good idea and if we take some the feedback from this meeting which can be put into some material back out to those one this call, others who missed it and also fall up with the inquiries that Sheldon recommended.

Dave: Does anybody have access to like a Yahoo group or Google group or something like that where we could have something where we could share information offline?

Meera: We've developed a list serve for this so I can follow-up by sending notes out to that list serve and then if you reply to that list serve it will connect to everyone who's a part of this group who is on the call and may not have been able to join us this time.

Dave: Makes sense. I think that will also spurn other people who aren't on the call to bring back in thoughts and ideas and questions also.

Meera: Absolutely!

Sheldon: So Meera, would you then take on the role of moderating or answering those questions or bringing them up with us so that we can address them?

Meera: With this group or on the separate calls with you, Sheldon?

Sheldon: So what was mentioned is that others may have questions that they might bring up those that did not participate etcetera. Those may be questions that either you, or others, or us might be able to address. So you would take that role as moderator for that and bring them to us for discussion etcetera.

Meera: Yep.

Sheldon: Okay.

Janet: So for next steps do I need to be sending you the topics of my presentation or what? Do we have a timeline for that?

Meera: Yes, as a next step if you could that would be wonderful, a few different ideas as well as who you're thinking of bringing to the meeting that would be great. Again, I'll send out a little note to the list serve after this meeting as a follow-up and make sure everybody knows that this opportunity is out there and how to follow through on that.

Janet: Perfect. Thank you.

Helga: But maybe we could even pull together just a template of a word document or attachment that you could complete with answers to some questions and give you some structure to that. I think that will help us Meera with our coordination in terms of especially if people are, we have a number of folks wanted to get different options from different key elements so that obviously everyone's not presenting on the same key element and a nice range realizing that a lot of people would be able to contribute to all of these but it could even be prioritizing, here's our top three things we'd be happy to share and even the order in which we would prioritize wanting to share them and then being able to sync you up with others. So I might ask for maybe just a little bit more information from the topic itself. That will give us more information to work with in terms of coordination.

Miranda: I think a template would be very helpful.

Helga: And it probably won't be your first view you'd be getting from Meera and me but just to get us up and running and started because we do want to have some consistency with the kind of exchange it might be something like here's the challenge we're addressing and here's the strategy were using and here's the outcomes we've experience and what we're planning on doing in the future, something like that that would provide some consistency not that people couldn't be innovative and creative with what they do coming out of that we might have some of these key elements where it's not so much a presentation as much as a discussion some folks are facilitating on that topic and discussion what's been challenging and soliciting some ideas and information from the audience. We do want to make sure it's very dynamic and engaging for everyone who's present and that everyone's very participatory. Kind of bringing that mindset you know?

Dave: What if we know of a community college, district, or something to that effect is doing some pretty cool stuff that may really add to the power of this whole process?

Helga: That's a great question, you know what I brought to the DEI team the other day and what we've talked about in terms of some of these funds is being able to also offer opportunities for some of our DEI projects to come in and they might bring in a partner

from a community college in a DEI project that's outside of the Onondaga Pathways Community of Practice and that were we want to bring in those different voices and we would consider that. Do we have our DEI folks who are working closely and are attached with all our WINTAC folks? Doug, you're on the phone too, we're going to be having lead representation there as well. So this could be something consider absolutely and when Meera was talking about pairs that extended right there beyond the people who might be on this call to more of our DEI folks who are not one this or other partners show aren't on this.

Meera: Right, like Kelly was going to bring her community college partner but there's folks who aren't part of our group so far but we hope to expand this network. I do here a lot folks dropping off the want to mindful that were crossing are hour threshold here.

Sheldon: If you have addition questions for ODEP please feel free to reach out to Karen Janet and me and we certainly can address those.

Nikki: I just wanted to clarify that so we here reach out to or through WINTAC or DEI some other states that we know are priming well with the community colleges.

Helga: So this something we talked about one our Monday call, we're actually going to pull together a list of potentials so were not actually extending invitations as much as considering who we might invite and part of the process and we're thinking there is this isn't going to be a massive conference. Right? It'll be a little bit limited in numbers we do want to make sure it's something that folks are engaging folks aren't just sitting and listening as Meera mentioned before. So we that's part of what I was requesting from the team on Monday was lets come up with who we think might include its very much were going from a good too great. The idea being those folks who are doing good work who are advancing this work we want to bring those folks together and then be able to provide kind of a blueprint for others, here's some practices that would really be effective, we'd like to share those each other we can also turn those into things we share with entire rest of the field so you don't want to push this out too broad lets be structured with it and if you could submit those to myself were share that with Meera and we'll go about this in a coordinated way.

Sheldon: Also those community college that you're identifying now might have innovative practices inviting them to participate in the community of practice and being a presenter at one of the meetings would be wonderful!

Helga: Yes we do want to encourage that absolutely! So there's different levels of this too. In making sure that we have sort of a coordinated list, Nikki, then we aren't getting

multiple different invitations from different entities and that could be confusing. Meera, you do have a part time staff person who's going to be helping with the logistics around this correct?

Meera: Yes.

Helga: So we'll have some conference coordination and planning support in doing that so let's make sure we use and benefit from that just so we know that the left hand knows what the right hand's doing.

Meera: Okay we'll thank you everybody for joining us today like I said, I know it past the hour we've lost some folks. We will do our follow-up through the list serve and through email and everyone is free to reach out to Miranda and I and of course as Sheldon pointed out if there's any questions for ODEP please do feel free to raise your questions either to me and I can pass them on or directly to Janet, Sheldon and Karen and we are all on the list serve, so if you post to the lists serve then that question should get seen by all of us.

Sheldon: And definitely include William!

Dave: Thank you guys looking forward to this and have a wonderful weekend!

Meera: You too, bye everybody!